My teaching philosophy has been evolving every year of my 25 years of teaching and I am a different teacher today than I was yesterday. I pride myself on the ability to learn something new, whether it be a new image or an entirely new modality, and to apply it into my teaching immediately. My teaching is a composite of many years as a musician and performer, dance training in all of the traditional dance forms, exposure and study of Laban and the Bartenieff Movement Fundamentals, and the inclusion of the principles of Brain Gym and Rhythmic Movement Training. I am also a Reiki practionier and energy healer, with a long history of numerous courses, seminars and events in the area of personal development.
As a starting point for understanding many of the underpinnings of my philosophy, I invite you to have a read of the Bartenieff Principles below and to see how these can be applied to your own dancing, and of course, to the experience of life. I then expand upon these principles and how I am applying them to the teaching of dance.
Principles of Bartenieff Movement Fundamentals
1. Connectivity – The whole body is connected
2. Breath Support – Breath brings life and movement
3. Grounding – The earth provides a support, a ground for Being and moving.
4. Developmental Progression – Basic body connections are patterned through a stage-specific developmental sequence. –
The Movement Fundamentals :
B) Core to Distal
C) Head to Tail
D) Upper to Lower
E) Body Half
F) Cross Lateral
5. Intent – Intent organizes the neuromuscular system.
6.Complexity – Movement is multifaceted, orchestrating Body/Effort/Shape/Space.
7. Inner-Outer – Movement is meaningful. Outer reflects inner. Inner reflects Outer.
8. Function-Expression – Function and expression integrate to create meaning in movement.
9. Stability-Mobility – Stabilizing and mobilizing elements interact continuously to produce effective movement.
10. Exertion-Recuperation – Exertion-Recuperation is a natural cycle which replenishes movement vitality.
11. Phrasing – Movement happens in phrases. The preparation and initiation determine the entire course of the phrase.
12. Personal Uniqueness – Patterning is an adventure. There is no one pathway for all persons to achieve full movement functioning.